+86 - 431 - 85099754 / 85685722
No.5268, Renmin Street, Changchun, Jilin Province, P. R. China, 130024
Confucius Institute Scholarship
Pursuant to the instruction of Hanban, Northeast Normal University is going to select Confucius Institute Scholarship awardees of the year of 2015, following is guidance for application.
I. Category of Scholarship
The scholarship of 2015 is divided into 4 categories:
Scholarship for Students of Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakersl of Other Languages（MTCSOL）,
Scholarship for Students of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL,
Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Students,
Scholarship for One-Semester Students.
Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens in good health, aged between 16 and 35 (In-service Chinese language teachers shall be aged below 45.).
1. Scholarship for Students of MTCSOL: The scholarship is oriented at excellent students from Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), overseas local Chinese language teachers, winners of the "Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, excellent foreign college graduates majored in Chinese and outstanding performers on HSK exams, to undertake a Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages. The scholarship winner shall begin the study in autumn 2015, and the duration of scholarship is two academic years. The applicant should have a bachelor degree or its equivalent, get a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 5) and a score of at least 50 on the HSKK (intermediate level), and make a written commitment stating that he/she will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation. The applicant with a specific teaching post arranged will be given admission priority (certification by the institution he/she will teach for is required). Hanban will provide support for outstanding graduates to teach in their home countries.
2. Scholarship for Students of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL: The scholarship is oriented at students from Confucius Institutes in Africa and Latin America regions, who are interested in Chinese Language teaching. The applicant shall sign an agreement with the Confucius Institute or an institute he/she will teach for. The Applicant is required to have a bachelor degree or its equivalent and achieve a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 3) and a score of at least 60 on the HSKK (primary level). Those who pass the first-academic-year assessment and score at least 180 on the HSK (level 5) can proceed with their study in China for the Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages. Hanban will support graduates to teach Chinese in their home countries by recruiting them as local teachers, providing wage subsidies, etc.
3. Scholarship for One-Academic Year Students : The scholarship is oriented at outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), overseas local Chinese language teachers, winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, excellent foreign college students majored in Chinese, outstanding performers on the HSK, and those who intend to become Chinese teachers. The scholarship winner may choose to study in majors including Chinese Language, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is autumn 2014 and the grant term is one academic year. Applicants should achieve a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 3) and at least 60 on the HSKK (primary level).
4. Scholarship for One-Semester Students : The scholarship is oriented at excellent students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, overseas local Chinese language teachers, excellent foreign college students majored in Chinese, and outstanding performers on the HSK. The scholarship winner may choose to study in majors including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is autumn 2015 or spring 2016 and the grant term is one semester. Applicants should achieve a score of at least 120 on the HSK (level 2) and at least 40 on the HSKK (primary level).
For all categories of scholarships, priority will be given to applicants with HSK and HSKK scores. Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall arrange their applications in accordance with the prize specifications. Repetitive applications are invalid.
III. Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
Scholarship winners are exempt from registration fees, tuition, fees for basic learning materials, accommodation fees on campus, and are provided with a one-off resettlement subsidy, monthly living allowance, outpatient medical service and comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in China. Monthly living allowances are provided at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):
a. CNY 1,400 for One-Academic-Year Students and One-Semester Students.
b. CNY 1,700 for Master’s Degree Students.
The one-off resettlement subsidy is CNY 1,500 for students who will study in China for one academic year or more; CNY 1,000 will be provided for all students who studies in China for one semester; the one-off resettlement subsidy will not be provided for those who have studied in China for more than half a year before being enrolled.
1. From the issue date of the Procedures, applicants can log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, set up an individual account, learn about the information of Northeast Normal University and its majors, complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form online.
2. Confucius Institutes (independently set-up Confucius Classrooms), overseas Chinese test centers, educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese Embassies (Consulates), host institutes and institutions of higher education in those countries with no Confucius Institutes are entrusted by Hanban as the recommending institutions. The recommending institutions shall examine the qualification and application materials of applicants, and submit the list of recommended applicants to Hanban by May 10th, 2015.
3. Northeast Normal University will verify the eligibility of its applicants and submit the proposed enrollment name list of qualified candidates to Hanban by May 26th, 2015.
4. Hanban will organize an expert panel to make the final selection, and publish the name list of successful applicants on the Scholarship website by June 16th, 2015. Hanban will also inform Northeast Normal University and the recommending institutions, and the recommending institutions will inform the applicants.
5. Northeast University will post “Admission Letter”, “Enrollment Instructions”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form) and other related materials to successful applicants through their recommending institutions by July 1st, 2015.
V.Application Documents (All in duplicate)
1. Applicants should log onto the Scholarship website, fill out the “Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form”, and attach the electronic files of the following materials:
2. Photocopy of passport photo page.
3. Photocopies of HSK and HSKK score reports.
4. Notarized highest education diploma attained（scheduled graduation proof or official proof of student status）
5. Reference letter and letter of commitment. The MTCSOL Scholarship applicants are required to submit two reference letters from professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English) and a written commitment stating that the applicant will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation (written in Chinese and signed). College students majored in Chinese in countries with no Confucius Institutes established shall submit a reference letter signed and issued by the university President.
6. Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
7. Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall submit the certificate of scholarship. Winners of preliminary rounds of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall submit award proof and a reference letter from the Chinese Embassy (or Consulate) in the competition area.
8. Chinese language teachers shall submit the proof of the length of time in teaching and weekly teaching hours provided by institutes they work for.
9. Those applying for scholarship of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL are required to provide the agreement signed with the Confucius Institute or the institute which they will be working for.
10. Copy of “Physical Examination Report for Foreigners” and Hematologic Examination results, originals are needed upon arrival in China.
1.Please send the photocopies of aforementioned materials via E-mail,before the papyraceous arrive.
2.Aforementioned materials are not retrievable no matter whether the applicant is admitted or not.
VI.Admission and Annual Appraisal
1. The scholarship winners shall register at the host institutes before the deadline set by the institutes. Scholarships will not be reserved for those who do not register on time without reasonable cause.
2. Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
3. Students undertaking BTCSOL or MMTCSOL (including One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL), shall be subject to an annual appraisal after being enrolled according to the “Annual Appraisal Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship”. Only the eligible students are entitled to continue to receive the scholarships in the following year.
Room 624, Administrative Building,
International Students Office,
Department of International Cooperation and Exchange,
Northeast Normal University, （Renmin Street No.5268）
Changchun City, Jilin Province, P.R.China.
Post Code: 130024
Deadline: Apr.30th, 2015 (Application materials, photographical or papery, must arrive before the date.)